recipes at random

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Give him ramen noodles, and you don’t have to teach him anything. - Lawrence Downes

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 

Noodle (lokschen) kugel


Kugel baking is more of an art than a science. I copied the bare bones of this from a recipe I found online, but I'm already adapting it to my taste in my head. For example, I'll definitely sub butter for margarine and chopped pecans or almonds for walnuts, and throw in a can (drained) of crushed pineapple since I have one lying around (golden raisins are more common). I might put in cottage cheese as well; I think my mother makes it with farmer's cheese, but that's hard to find. Warning: high cholesterol and saturated fat!


1 12-oz. package broad (egg) noodles
4 tbsp. pareve margarine
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar

Topping
brown sugar
walnut pieces

Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain well and return to pot. Add margarine and mix well to melt. Fold in sugar and sour cream. Beat eggs well and fold into mixture. Turn into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan and sprinkle with brown sugar and walnut pieces to taste. Bake at 375 for about 1/2 hour, until top is browned and the noodle kugel is firm when you cut into it. Watch carefully so you don't burn the topping.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   June 2007   August 2007   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats
Google
Listed on BlogShares