recipes at random

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Give him ramen noodles, and you don’t have to teach him anything. - Lawrence Downes

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 

Caribbean latkes

OK, this is what I was looking for. Haven't cooked it, but I'm not tweaking the content at all. There, I've said it.

I was about to say that I like plain old Ashkenazi latkes just fine, and will be eating plenty over the next few days, but I've enjoyed experimenting with different potatoes, other vegetables (carrots, zucchini, etc.), and spices. This one sounds like a lot of fun.



Servings: Varies

1/2 large boniato (Cuban white sweet potato) or yam, peeled, about 3/4 pound
1/2 medium Spanish onion, peeled
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 teaspoon crushed dried hot peppers
2 teaspoons matzo meal
Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup sour cream
3 to 4 scallions, chopped

Directions:

Grate the boniato and onion together on the large holes of a grater into a bowl.

Stir in the eggs until well blended.

Add the orange zest, cumin, salt, pepper, ginger, cilantro, dried hot peppers and matzo meal, stirring to mix.

In a large heavy frying pan, heat about 1/2 inch oil over moderate to high heat.

Drop the boniato mixture into the oil 1 heaping tablespoon at a time, being careful not to crowd the pan.

Pat down the batter in the center with a wooden spoon, and fry the pancakes until golden brown on one side, turn and brown the other side.

Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Mix the sour cream and the scallions in a small bowl. Serve with the hot boniato latkes.

Recipe from Gannett News Service, via Is that my buréka?.

Comments:
i was eyeing this one myself, too. never heard of "boniato" before.

in any case, the ingredients look like they go extremely well together. orange zest and hot chili sounds like a blast of sunshine to me. :) lemme know how they fare.
 
BB - never got around to it this year... but I'll keep it in mind!

I really should get to be better friends with my digital camera, so I can publish nice photos like yours :).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   June 2007   August 2007   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats
Google
Listed on BlogShares